My Novels

My Novels
Click through to buy my books

Aug 3, 2010

I’d Rather Be…

You see those license plate holders all the time. “I’d rather be windsurfing/reading/getting attacked by incensed fans who simply want to touch me because they think I’m actually a fictional character and not the actor who played him in the movies.


Oh, wait… I’ve never seen that last one. I have a feeling that it will never grace the back of Robert Pattinson’s Porsche.

“What’s the point?” You ask.

The point is that there are days when I’d rather not be writing.

Writing, to me, means scheduling. I write as if it’s my job. I write nearly seven hours a day Monday through Friday (excluding holidays, vacations and sick days). In many ways, writing is a full time job.

Now, if you know me, you might say to me, “but Amy, you actually do write at your day job….”

While that is true, let me tell you the number of other things I could be doing.

I could be: reading blogs, looking up celebrity gossip, painting my nails, drawing up bathroom remodel plans, deciding paint colors, texting, doodling, staring at the wall, figuring out how to get solitaire on my work computer… the list could go on.

Instead I’ve contrived to hold myself to a schedule, a number of words per day. If I don’t meet that goal, it is tacked on to the next day’s… this could snow ball pretty quickly. I keep track of where I am and where I want to be and I find a way to get there.

Last week I fell behind on Wednesday (68 words shy) and Thursday (699 words shy), but I finished Friday on target. I managed to make up those 767 words. Why? Because I had a schedule to stick to (and because the biggest fan had faith in me).

Holding myself to a schedule pushes me through the difficult bits, the parts that I don’t want to write, but know I have to. I have to stay to the schedule.

My calendars and charts are the visual representation of those goals and I find that helpful. If you write, what keeps you churning out pages?

(Had I known this would be post #100 I might have done something special. Sorry... I'll catch that when 200 comes around)

3 comments:

  1. Wow, your discipline is impressive! I just write whenever I feel like it- which maybe is why I haven't been published. I like the writing part but the discipline part is tough. My list of things I'd rather be doing is too long, and my list of shit I have to be doing is long as well. But I agree, you need to treat it like a job.
    Ha ha and I like your Pattinson plate- you should pitch it to him. I wonder if he ever regrets taking that role?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could be painting your nails at work? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome!

    I have been pretty spotty with the writing, but I think I'll be a lot more motivated now.

    I read somewhere once that you weren't a real writer till you had written 1,000,000 words. I am now at 600,000 finished words (spread across 8 novels, novellas, and short stories) that I consider ready for publication. So really, just another 400K to go, and then I can throw them all out and start over as a real writer!

    :D

    ABK, how many words do you write a day? When I am on a roll I can do 1,000 an hour, but I can't do that very often.

    ReplyDelete