My Novels

My Novels
Click through to buy my books

Mar 14, 2011

Plateful

I’ve got a writing schedule. It is my plan. The only way I’m going to get what I want done this year, done. I can stick to any plan as long as it’s lain out in Excel format, so that’s what I do. I’ve got myself a lovely little spreadsheet telling me what to do (I find it very easy to take orders from something so organized as Excel).
Because of my goals for this year, I have to keep to a quota, I want to finish the first draft of my current WIP by April 30th. That means approximately 1500 words a day – no biggie.
I was even confident enough to take on critiquing another person’s story while working on this word goal each day, and let me tell you, it hasn’t been too tough yet.
I say yet, because I took on that critique before my mother/editor-of-all-things-grammar informed me she’d have my 4th novel’s newest set of edits to me by today.
My mother always wants lots of time to work though the books I send her and that’s fine. I simply work my way into the mindset that I am, in fact, not going to die if it takes her a little while to get back to me. So, I figured, I’d be getting my revisions back around the time this WIP’s first draft was done… or at least not until tax time. But here I am, with another thing to add to my pile of things to get through… Needless to say, my plate is a smidge full.
So my WIP steak and my critique peas were perfectly happy sitting there on grandma’s china, but the heaping mound of revision mashed potatoes are threatening to give me a bellyache. Gotta pace myself…
What does your plate look like right now?

6 comments:

  1. My plate SHOULD look like a knitting wip and a delicious bagel, but instead it looks like a new job list and stuff to mail. C'est la vie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My plate is one of those plastic Chinette things you use at a pot luck supper. It's being filled with a little bit of this, a little big of that, a little big of your blog, a little bit of mine. A little bit of Mambo #5...

    But since it is just plastic, it keeps getting set down and shoved aside as the platter of real life demands precedence. There's daughters, and housework, and meals to plan and prepare.

    I started my own blog just three days ago. It's taking up a lot of space on my Chinette right now, alongside the tidbits I find on Twitter or other social media. Just like a church pot luck supper, there is so much good stuff out there, and I can't help but try to sample it all! However there is less and less room now for the entree, the WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My plate is overwhelmed with critiquing stuff for my CP group as well as schoolwork. I have no time for writing or revisions at the moment. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My plate looks really full right now, like Thanksgiving dinner type full. The thing is that it is all so good that I don't know where to start. It is overwhelming me to the max. *screaming* My sanity is at it's end and I am way unmotivated. I could try to eat it all but would end up sick. Urgh. Somehow I'll beat this thing and get through the piled high plate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My plate is heaping high and falling off the plate. I'm spilling it as I haul it to the table, leaving little bits of food on the floor as I walk. My pathetic attempts at holding it together are useless as another carrot falls on the floor. Drat. Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My plate just got lightened yesterday when I got an MS evaluation done and sent off to the writer. Now my problem is blogging and writing is now added to pre-launch interviews for my second book, A Love Rekindled.

    All the best with yours.

    ReplyDelete