Mar 23, 2011

Review: Soulless

Soulless
(Book 1 of the Parasol Protectorate)

Paranormal Romance in a Victorian Steampunk age

Paperback, 384 pages

Published by Orbit
Released October 2009













My Summary:

Alexia Tarabotti has no soul. But she’s better off than you might think. In a Victorian London where Vampires and Werewolves are as common place as high tea, Alexia’s soulless state is something that should keep her out of trouble. Her Italian heritage, one of the only other things her father left her besides her soulless state, seems to bring in more trouble than it’s worth. When Alexia is attacked by a vampire with an obvious lack of manners or education, she finds herself in the middle of a plot that could bring the supernatural sect of the London ton crashing to the ground.

Lord Maccon, head of the Bureau of Unnatural Registry, a werewolf and inexcusably Scottish, would prefer Alexia keep her bustle out of BUR business, but it seems that Alexia has found her way into the tangle and as more and more supernaturals go missing, it looks like they’re coming after Alexia too.

My Review:

Wonderful. This novel will keep your nose glued to the pages and your heart thoroughly invested in Alexia’s trials. Ms. Carriger found a way to blend together the beauty of historical romance with both the paranormal and steampunk edge. The secondary characters are unerringly likable, from Alexia’s best friend with horrible taste in hats, to Lord Akeldama , the frivolously rococo rove vampire, to Angelique, a drone you only see for a few moments, and who is unforgivably French, but utterly endearing.

Buy, Borrow, Brush Past:

Buy this one. Buy it now. Don’t bother reading any more. Just go get it.

Vampires, Werewolves and Parasols, oh my!


7 comments:

  1. This one looks really good. I always look at it but never do anything about it.... I may have to change my stance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good. It makes me wonder what the main character is, besides soulles, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually not going to read this review, so HA! It's already on my "to read" list, and I love starting a book with no knowledge of what's going on (same with movies!). Thanks for the referral!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this and loved it too. But I haven't gotten around to reading the sequel yet. Too many wonderful books and too little time. Maybe this summer...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, Amy, I see this book at Powell's every time I go and I never grab it because I'm worried I'll be disappointed. I'll definitely have to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely cover and subtitle, and this is a nice review too.

    BTW, I need your support for my second book, launching soon. Please check my blog, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Soulless. It was a good read. The author is on the Twitter. :)

    ReplyDelete