May 23, 2011

Review: Magic Lost, Trouble Found

Magic Lost, Trouble Found

Epic Fantasy with a Murder Mystery Feel

Paperback, 345 Pages

Published by Ace
Released May 29, 2007













 My Summary:

Raine Benares finds things – it’s just what she does as a Seeker. She’s a sorceress of modest power, but her friends and family run the spectrum. On the lower end of that spectrum, you have Quentin, a thief who’s breaking into the home of one of the nastiest necromancers in Mermia. On the high end, you have her god father, a conclave mage and possibly the most powerful sorcerer in town. But when Quentin’s job goes foul and Goblins start literally popping out of thin air, Raine compelled to seek out an artifact that has been missing for nearly nine hundred years. It wouldn’t be so bad, if the thing that was compelling her wasn’t an amulet she couldn’t take off.

My Review:

I’m going to admit. There are a few things in this book that stopped me up, but overall it was a very entertaining read. I enjoyed how a lot of the book felt almost like a murder mystery and yet all the elements of High Fantasy were present. Rayne is a likeable, if somewhat contradictory character with whom it is easy to sympathize – no girl wants her jewelry telling her what to do (especially if said jewelry isn’t particularly pretty). As a protagonist I felt she walked the tightrope between utterly helpless and too many with great ease, only faltering once or twice – a great feat for any character. The Antagonist in this novel is not someone I found myself hating, but I did strongly dislike him and – as he wasn’t threatening me or mine – that’s to be expected.

Buy, Borrow, or Brush Past:

Check this one out. It’s entertainingly refreshing in the world of High fantasy to read a novel like this.

 
Somethings are better left unfound...






1 comment: