Sep 7, 2011

Revisions

By the title, I’m sure you’ve guessed… I’m back in revisions. It is one of my favorite things about writing a novel.
There is something completely other about having a novel in front of you and looking at it like a piece of clay, and then molding it into a different shape. Like turning a monkey into a hammer head shark – pinching and smoothing and tweaking and pounding…
And when you’re done, it’s usually better than the original incarnation... I say usually, because I think of revisions a little like plastic surgery and, well…. We’ve all seen Michael Jackson’s nose (and that weird cat woman).
So I’m here, revising away.
What are you up to?

6 comments:

  1. I'm querying but I'm about to go back and edit an old manuscript of mine too. Good luck with your revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you doing are R&R or regular revising? Having done an R&R before (actually two). I'd strongly advise you to finish the revision, set it aside, and then come back to it one last time. It's amazing what you find when you come back to it after a week or two. I learned the hard way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same. Well, actually I'm waiting for response from my CPs, but I'm critiquing some of their stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CQG - Thanks! Good luck on your querying & your revisions!

    Connie - I'm doing R&Rs. I'm doing the revisions, getting them to betas, re revising, getting them to my editor, and then letting it sit. I really hope that in that process I'll find anything that crops up!

    Matthew - Hopefully you get good news back from your CPs (and they help catch everything too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for revising! I am a huge fan of revisions. Every time I write a first draft, I think it's my favorite part of writing. But then I start revising and think that's my favorite part...and it just goes in a circle. :) But there's something truly amazing about taking what you said and turning it into what you meant to say.

    I'm in revisions too. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. I hope you have some good news to share soon!!

    ReplyDelete