May 23, 2012

So… I’ve seen a few movies recently


Source

 Why I saw it: I haven’t been paying much attention, so when Sara Creasy brought it up, I looked into it… and immediately got excited. And frankly, the trailer was entertaining enough to give it a shot (AND IT’S SF, or at least it’s the type of SF I wish more SF movies were. Too many things anymore are muddling the line anymore.
Source
What I thought: Scientific inaccuracies aside, it was a lot of fun. I love movies that are so much fun, I forget to be bothered by things that might otherwise irk me. ALSO THEY DEAL WITH A HACK JOB HAIR CUT THE RIGHT WAY… YOU GUYS! I’m not sure if it’s sad that I’m as excited about that as I am. 

Someone (I think it was io9, and please correct me in the comments if I’m wrong) said this movie is like Escape from New York – In space! and I’m so happy they were not off the mark in that statement. Seriously, if this is still available, GO SEE IT.



Source

 Why I saw it: Okay, so, I don’t like Julia Roberts, she bugs me and the second I saw that Nathan Lane was in the cast, I knew what sort of a movie it was going to be… but I still went and saw it because I love Tarsem. I knew my eyes would be in for a visual candy fest.
Source
What I thought: While it was not the best adaptation of the story I’ve seen, I found it enjoyable enough… and the random bollywood number during the credits is just wacky to bump the movie up a little. There are a few moments of comedic gold, but other than that, I found the story straightforward. I don’t know if it’s this could be considered the worst take on Snow White I’ve seen… and as there are two more coming out shortly (One I’m wary of and one I’m actually kind of excited about) I think I’m going to save my judgment on this front. It followed the base guidelines of the story well enough and while I was not a fan of Army Hammer’s performance, Lilly Collins was decent enough. And I loved the Dwarves… but then, I always love the Dwarves. (I think it’s worth seeing if you like fairy tale adaptations – if you’re looking for something more a mix of this and the next item on the list consider Snow White: A Tale of Terror with Sam Neil and Sigourney Weaver.




Source

Why I saw it: Honestly, the main reason I saw this one was because the BF loves anything even hinting at the realm of horror. And I was willing to go because I figured Joss Whedon wouldn’t do me wrong.
Source
What I thought: I was pleasantly not freaked out at any point in the movie… though I’m not sure that’s what they were going for. I’m not the sort who has a super high tolerance for horror. Certain movies (not to be named here) have had me with a vice grip on the BF’s arm that resulted in bruising – he deserved it – I don’t think I flinched once. But to be fair it seemed more like a dissection and homage to horror than anything else. The twist at the end was something that even I (a serial plot ruiner) didn’t see coming.


5 comments:

  1. Nice breakdown! Thanks for listing these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have wondered about the cabin in the woods---saying hi from the az challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cabin in the Woods was awesome. Joss Whedon has had a great year in the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy - not really my movies .. but if I'd nothing to do - I might have popped down and seen Mirror Mirror ..

    Great write-ups though .. and interesting to read about .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete