My Novels

My Novels
Click through to buy my books

May 24, 2012

When I Haven’t Done My Job

I’m working on the edit notes from the last go over of my SFR. This is Draft #4 and there was a pretty big series of changes that happened in draft #3, so a lot of this round of edits is clean up from that.

The best thing about my main beta/editor is also the most frustrating at times. She doesn’t read SF and so a lot of things I take for granted as common knowledge… she doesn’t get.

Why that’s frustrating: As someone who is rather immersed SF in general… things like “EVA suits” and “force shielding” don’t require further explanation. So I get frustrated when she doesn’t get it. But really, that’s not her fault.

Why it’s awesome: Because I might go about my business writing this stuff and totally alienate a reader who picks up the story and doesn’t know that EVA stands for Extra-Vehicular Activity. It’s my job as the writer to explain these things in a way that won’t make a veteran SF reader roll their eyes, but also makes it clear to the reader what the heck I’m talking about.

So, while my initial reaction to some of the comments in my revision notes is usually frustration, I’m at a point in my writing career where I understand that frustration is completely my own fault.

3 comments:

  1. I totally understand. When you read SF all the time, that stuff is common knowledge!

    Is this the same person who said people may not know what HOA means? Because when I was reading through that book I didn't even think about how someone else may not get that. (Which, I probably still wouldn't know what it meant was I not in construction.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No... for the life of me, I cannot remember who that was. It might have been someone in the QueryTracker Forums? Maybe?

      Delete