Oct 15, 2012

Productive Procrastination

I’m writing this on a Friday… Fridays, I rarely ever schedule a word count, because I know how much my motivation drains. It’s the last day of the week, and though I know I’m tied to a desk one way or another, the word count does not want to flow.

Procrastination has its cold, deadly pincers around my neck and it doesn’t want to let go.

Having struggled with procrastination all my life, I’ve come to a simple truth for myself. I can be productive as anything when I’m procrastinating.

The thing about procrastination for me, is that there is a specific thing I don’t want to do (in this case, write out the 2,814-words I’ve got slated for the day) and if I try to make myself do it, I get a whole lot of nothing done. But I’ve found that if I do other things instead – knowing that I should be doing the other thing, I have no problem still being productive.

This morning (last Friday), instead of working on my word count, I’ve written this blog post and two others (I may get another handful in for my other blogs as well) I’ve written out two long emails to the two people I email weekly on Fridays (Hi mom! Hi Joann! *waves*) and I’ve managed to get some things organized for the next novel on my list. These are all things I’ve done instead of staring at chapter 10 like a baboon who doesn’t know how to type.

What about you? Do you push through procrastination? Or have you found some other way to get things done?

No comments:

Post a Comment