Oct 23, 2012

Review: Alien Diplomacy

Alien Diplomacy

(Book 5: Alien/Kitty Katt Series)

By Gini Koch

Comical Earth-based SFR with a Dash of Politics
Paperback, 425 pages

Published by DAW

Released April 3, 2012


My Summary:
Settling into the role of Ambassador for the A-C Diplomatic corps is difficult enough as it is, but Kitty Martini finds herself at the center of yet another diabolical plan. When your limo is blown up, your being chased about DC by poorly disguised taxi drivers and you can’t go anywhere without seeming to pick up a bug or eight, it’s only a matter of time before you find yourself embroiled in stopping an assassination plot at the president’s ball.

My Review:
As with the first four novels in this series, Alien Diplomacy delivers on moments of witty banter and some pretty fun fight sequences, however, I feel as though this series has begun to taper off.

I do enjoy the number of red herrings Gini throws into her books. There is something to be said for the chaotic tone it adds to the book. If there’s one thing I’m seriously grateful for it’s that Jeff has finally grown out of his “Uber Jealous” faze and is finally acting like the grown up alien he is. There is nothing sexy about how controlling he was in the first 3 1/2 books, so I’m happy to see that personal growth (though it does piss me off how everyone else reacts to it).

There were a few things I found tiresome in this novel. The number of times “turned up to eleven” was used (or its variations), the occasional use of “boded” without a clarifier (example: ‘This, like so many other things, boded.’), and the propensity for overly long dialog sequences with no tags to orient the reader to who is speaking.

I did enjoy the way that Kitty was put into a ridiculous situation, and especially how the “boys” get her out of it. There’s something oddly fun about the personal intrigue that goes on as a sub sub plot in this book.

In the end, when we encounter the super soldiers, I’m at a loss to understand how 10-foot tall metal encased super beings are going to navigate their way from the subbasement to the ballroom – I realize both of those places will have high ceilings, but I don’t know that the halls, elevators and/or stairwells will have the right clearance. It’s one of the things in this novel that pulled me out of the story.

Overall, I think this is the weakest in the series so far. There are at least two more novels in this series, and I have to say, I’m starting to fear reading them.

Buy, Borrow, Brush Past:
At the point, I think the novels have slowly slid down into the Borrow realm. They’re still fun to read, but some of the fun has started to tarnish.

Review Book 1 - Touched by an Alien (Kitty Katt)
Review Book 2 -
Alien Tango (Kitty Katt)
Review Book 3 -
Alien in the Family (Kitty Katt)
Review Book 4 -
Alien Proliferation (Kitty Katt)

No comments:

Post a Comment